Rock Art Lesson Plan
Title: Ancient Animals
Grade Level: 3-12
Objectives: Students will
1. Identify animal species depicted in Arkansas rock art. (Natural Science)
2. Identify stylized features within the Rock Art. (Art)
3. Identify habitats with which each species associated. (Natural Science)
4. Identify/recognize economic, social, or religious associations ancient people may have attached to certain animals. (Social science/Humanities)
2. Group images into categories: mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds.
3. Label each image with its correct species name.
4. Read/research appropriate articles and technical papers for information on Economic, Social, and Religious associations.
5. Write a short report on the economic, social, and religious associations ancient people gave to these animals.
6. Discuss as a group these associations.
7. Attend a lecture on these associations.
8. List habitats where these animals live in today.
9. Compare the habitat of the animal today to the habitat where the rock art was found. List similarities and differences.
10. Create a catalogue/notebook of the different images with labels.
11. Create a poster to depict the various types of images, categories, associations.
Contributed by: Dan Marzoni, Ramay Jr. High School, Fayetteville AR