The UAFS research station was established in 2005 at the request of the University of Arkansas - Fort Smith campus. The University purchased the Drennen-Scott House, 1838 home of the City of Van Buren founder, businessman, and Indian Agent John Drennen, with plans to use the property as a museum and training center for their Historical Interpretation degree program. The station’s responsibilities include archeological investigations at the Drennen-Scott Historic Site and other assistance to the program at UAFS, working with the Ark-Homa Chapter of the Arkansas Archeological Society and other outreach activities in the Fort Smith area, and archeological research in the Arkansas River Valley between Fort Smith and Clarksville in cooperation with the UAF and WRI stations.
Timothy S. Mulvihill (M.A., University of Arkansas, 1996) joined the Survey in 1989 as station assistant at ASU, then moved to the Parkin research station, where he was station assistant from 1991–2005. In late spring of 2005, Mulvihill moved to Fort Smith to establish the new UAFS research station. His interests include Woodland and Mississippian period archeology, site survey methodologies, and mapping.
Tim Mulvihill, Station Archeologist
UA Fort Smith Research Station
Echols Building #204
5210 Grand Avenue, P.O. Box 3649
Fort Smith, AR 72913-3649